This Kit contains mechanical parts and electronic modules for you to start exploring the robot world, it can be used to build a robot tank or a three-wheel robot car.
With the following electronic modules: Makeblock Orion controller(Arduino UNO compatiable), ultrasonic ranger sensor, IR remote controller and IR receiver, an IR contrtol robot or an ultrasonic obstacle-avoiding robot can be build.
The Me series electronic modules are easy-to-use, very friendly to beginners.
Please refer to the illustration below to wire.
You can download the bluetooth control App to by scanning the QR code, or visit app.makeblock.cc to know more details. If there’s some problem with the App, please check “Help” in it.
Working with mBlock–Hack the Physical World
The Starter Robot Kit supports mBlock perfectly which allow you reprogramming your robot by simply drag and joint the blocks of mBlock. No more difficult coding.
mBlock is a free modified version of Scratch 2.0 developed by MIT Media Lab, mBlock add some hardware-related blocks in the original Scratch, with these blocks, users can read sensors, control motors and even a whole robot.
Besides blocks for the basic microcontroller functionalities, analog and digital writes and reads, PWM outputs. There are also blocks for each specific electronic modules, such as ultrasonic sensor, temperature sensor, light sensor, DC motor driver, stepper driver, etc. With these blocks, it’s simple to interact with many kinds of electronic modules.
Visit the following URL for more details: http://learn.makeblock.com/getting-started-programming-with-mblock/
Working with Arduino IDE–Learn Programming the Fun Way
Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible , easy-to-use hardware and software.The Arduino software consists of a development environment(IDE) and the core libraries. The IDE is written in Java and based on the Processing development environment.
Visit the following URL for more details: http://learn.makeblock.com/learning-arduino-programming/
The Electronic Add-on Pack is to expand on your Starter Robot Kit. There are 8 electronic modules in it. With this add-on pack and Starter Kit, you can create a lot of cool project. You can also implement several projects in Inventor Electronic Kit.
Robot Arm Add-on Pack serves to transform your Starter Robot Kit to a robotic-arm tank. It contains all parts you need for building a robotic arms, including DC Motor-37, Robot Gripper, beams, timing pulleys, and hardware.
Q: Starter don’t work with remote controller.
A: Follow this:
- Make sure all the assemble is fine and all the batteries (both batteries for Starter and remote control) are brand new.
- Upgrade the examples in the Makeblock library: Makeblock_Starter_Robot_kit < IR_Control by Arduino.
- Then check if you have connected the correct port (port 6), if not, please correct it.
Q: How to reset default program for Starter_IR through mBlock
A: Step 1. Please keep the buzzer be turned off, show as the following picture:
Step 2. Reset default program via mBlock, as follows:
- Download the latest mBlcok in this link and decompress it.
- Power off the Starter robot and connect it to PC with USB cable:
- Install the mBlock software and open it, then choose the Me Orion under Board:
- Choose the correct Serial port of Starter Robot under Connect-> Serial Port: (Here my Starter Robot’s serial port is COM3, and you can check your Starter Robot serial port under your computer’s Device Manager->Ports (COM&LPT))
- Then choose the factory program for your device by going to Connect->Reset Default Program->Starter, then Close when it shows Upload Finish.
Step 3. After reset default program, please pull out the USB cable, power on the device and you can drive it through IR Remote Controller.
Note: Above Steps take Windows PC for example, if your PC is Mac, you need pay attention to two points bellow:
1. Before reset default program, need install a driver for Mac, here is the link to download the driver: http://blog.sengotta.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/CH34x_Install.zip
2. When choose Serial port under Connect->Serial Port, please choose /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410
Q: Starter goes reversed direction.
A: There are different conditions:
- When you press left, the robot goes forward, and when you press right, the robot goes backward, you have to change the position of the two yellow terminals.
- After that, if the robot still works weirdly, for example, when press forward but runs backward, but backward when press forward. you have to change the black and white wire. Please take note, please change one once a time, after that, if the situation still exist, please try another one.
Q: Motors dont work well.
A: Kindly do the testing as below:
- Install driver software in your computer, please download at here: [Windows] Driver Installer
[Mac OSX] Makeblock Orion
- Install mBlock (mBlock is a graphical programming software developed from Scratch 2.0) Here is the download address. http://www.mblock.cc
- Connect your robot to your computer via USB cable. Check serial port (COM #) in your computer’s device manager.
- Select the appropriate board type in “Boards”. (Here please select Me Orion)
- Select correct Serial port, click Connect, and then click Upgrade Firmware. （As below picture)
- After uploading firmware, please turn on your robot (battery should be installed), select “File-Load Project”, upload control.sb2 (73.3 KB)the project file.
- Try to control your robot with arrow keys in your PC keyboard. (Make sure you have connected your robot tank to PC, and battery is fully charged)
Q: Whats the difference of IR version and the Bluetooth version?
A: for the Starter, no other difference, IR version use a remote controller, and bluetooth use by bluetooth connection.